Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gallery Walls


One of the easiest ways to make a statement in a room is with art! Now I know what you're thinking: "I don't have any art!" but I assure you, that's not the case. “Art” DEFINITELY includes framed pics of friends, magazine cut outs (vintage ads look great framed), sketches (even if you think they suck- chances are they will look great framed), flea market paintings, notes from friends, etc! To help yourself figure out how to hang a collection of “art,” lay it all out on the floor and arrange it until you think it looks good. Then, take a picture of it and make sure you still like the way it looks in the photo (you’ll be surprised how the look can change). Once you’re happy with the arrangement, hang the largest piece first and refer to the photo for placement of the rest, maintaining an equal distance between each piece for a more tailored look, or random spacing between (as seen above) for a more eclectic look. Whatever you do, don’t stress about hanging them- it really doesn’t need to be difficult and small errors in spacing can actually add character ;) Check out some of my favorites (credited when sources known).

Kate Spade's home, as seen in World of Interiors, December, 2006

6 comments:

Style Saves the World said...

Great images! I love gallery walls, but I just can't get the hubby on board. Design compromises. Sigh.

MABELLE said...

haha- yes, husbands are the antithesis of good design (or so it seems;)

Style Court said...

So many of my favorites here. I've always liked that Spade bedroom and of course I love the Samperton vestibule :)

Great options!

MABELLE said...

Do you happen to know where the 2 unknown images are from? (the blue room with yellow bedding and the pink room) I love them and can't remember for the life of me where I found them!

Paul Pincus said...

This is such a great post!

bond touch wholesale usa said...

Great images! I love gallery walls, but I just can't get the hubby on board. Design compromises. Sigh. gold necklace australia ,