Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Autumn Flea Marketing



Every weekend I love to search for vintage treasures at the Chelsea flea market here in the city. However last weekend I rented a car with 4 of my friends and headed to the popular Elephant's Trunk market in Connecticut! Founded in 1976, the market features hundreds of vendors offering bargain antiques amidst the colorful backdrop of an autumn New England hillside.

Below are two goodies I scored at Elephant's Trunk! The frame at left was a mere $10, in which I placed a scrap of fabric that I love from an old skirt I don't wear! The painting at right is an original watercolor, matted in linen and framed for $40! Not too shabby ;)As you know, I'm a huge fan of gallery walls so I thought I'd share my own with you! Almost everything on this wall is a flea market find, costing anywhere from $2 to the painting I just bought for $40! The look is laid back and eclectic and reminds me of how much fun I had searching for each piece. For those of you interested in vintage fashion, be sure to check out the Shabby Chic store in Soho. Store owner Rachel Ashwell (who popularized the term "shabby chic") has spent the last ten years collecting and restoring vintage prom dresses from the '40s and '50s, which are now on display and available to purchase until December 31st at her Wooster street store. Photo: Edmund Barr, Country Home May 2005

5 comments:

Style Saves the World said...

Oh, you lucky dog! I haven't been to a flea market in ages.

辦公室貓頭鷹 The Office Owl said...

Hi Michelle! This is Chloe. I absolutely LOVE your blog and have been following it like a hawk!!! You are tripling my i.d. / decorating quotient everyday :)
keep up the good work, and I am waiting for the day when you become as well recognized as you definitely deserve!

Best wishes, Chloe

MABELLE said...

Aw, thanks Chloe! You made me blush :) I'm so surprised and excited that you're READING this! Hope to see you soon!
Xo Michelle (um, I mean mabelle- haha)

apt pupil said...

I second syle saves the world. I'm dying to go to a flea market!

Style Court said...

Love your finds and gallery wall. I think we have the same handbag :)