Monday, June 16, 2008

James Phalen House


I recently popped into the Cooper Hewitt Museum bookstore and stumbled across a book called The Houses of Greenwich Village, in which I found a little treasure! One of my all time favorite homes, that of Sara and Paul Costello, is featured along with its tale as the historic James Phalen House of the mid 1800s! It was originally built in 1850 as the estate of James Phalen, and is a four story townhouse with two principal rooms on each floor and a rusticated basement. A passage to the rear of the property allowed access to the legendary "Pamela Court" prohibition era speakeasy! Regulars included literary figures such as Theodore Dreiser, John Dos Passos and Edna St. Vincent Millay. Pamela Court was eventually turned into a legitimate bar known as Chumley's, which has recently closed.

More impressive than the story of the James Phalen House is the decorating in the current Costello residence. Here are some of my favorite images from the book. (LOVE the living room!)




8 comments:

Suzy said...

It's lovely! I had only seen pics of the bedroom but wasn't aware who it belonged to.

chelswat said...

Chumley's was one of my favorite restaurants, I'm so sad it's gone. Great photos! Looks like a Domino Mag shoot.

AMM blog said...

Oohh...I'm liking the wallpaper in the last photo!

Anonymous said...

I saw your daily candy blast today!!! You are so great! xoxo

please sir said...

Great interior - I also like the wallpaper!

s. said...

Stunning! Just reserved the book at my local public library so I can drool over these photos again! Thanks for sharing.

Apt. #34 said...

ok, I am officially planning a trip to New York!

SimplyGrove said...

Gorgeous!! Every room is lovely!